The laws surrounding tree and brush removal can be complex and sometimes difficult to understand. Laws vary between states and even cities, largely because of the wide variety of climates that occur across America and because of the important role that trees and brush play in local ecosystems.
Arborwell Professional Tree Management provides arborist and tree maintenance services for commercial properties, estates, municipalities and HOA’s and we are well versed in local laws concerning the removal of trees and brush. We can help you to navigate these laws and get you the permits you need to continue developing your property.
Why are tree removal laws so different?
Tree and brush removal laws are varied based on location because of different environmental factors and needs. In California, there are strict laws regarding vegetation within 100 feet of structures. The law states:
- The first thirty feet from a structure must be clear of all dead plant material.
- Tree branches must be ten feet from chimneys and other trees.
- The last seventy feet must focus on fuel reduction, meaning lawns should be mowed regularly and areas underneath trees should be clear.
These laws aim to improve wildfire safety by reducing the chance of buildings and structures burning down. In places like Seattle, trees and brush play an important role in the ecosystems so laws revolve around retaining vegetation:
- There are limits to the number of trees you can cut down.
- You need a permit to remove non-native or invasive vegetation and plant native species.
- You need permits to remove trees and vegetation in landslide prone and steeply sloped areas.
These are just a taste of the differences in tree and brush removal laws in California and Seattle. Before you go ahead with your property development be sure you are aware of your local laws and the permits you need to obtain!
Ask Arborwell about your local laws
At Arborwell Professional Tree Management our arborists are knowledgeable of local laws regarding tree removals and can help you understand them. Regardless of past experiences with tree and brush removal, we recommend to always check with your local government before removal as they will have the latest information on potential law changes.
Save yourself the trouble of accidental illegal removals and call one of our ISA certified arborists at 888-969-8733 today or contact us online to learn more about the tree and brush removal laws in your state and city.